ASE on Destiny Gameplay Reveal

by Schooly D, TSD Gaming Condo, TX, Sunday, June 16, 2013, 10:28 (3975 days ago) @ INSANEdrive
edited by Schooly D, Sunday, June 16, 2013, 10:43

I'm not as negative or pessimistic as Cody, but I'm more of both than average around here so I'll take the opportunity to project myself onto Cody to answer the question.

Cody is a smart man, but he's very jaded. He's been playing games for a long time, and during that time he's internalized many observations of what makes games good and bad. He's also been burned many times, believing a game will be great until it turns out to be not-as-good or possibly terrible. Each time he's burned, he identifies what went wrong both with the game and with his expectations, and keeps that knowledge with him going forward. The times he's disappointed likely influence his disposition more than the times things go well (a cat who gets burned by a hot stove won't sit on a hot stove again... but it won't sit on a cold one either), so we see a person who's more negative than positive.

Cody wants to like games, and he wants to like Destiny. But more than wanting to like Destiny, he wants his love to be justified. As Kermit alluded to, forcing people to defend a position they hold is a good thing. If their position is wrong, it gets exposed. If it's correct, it's strengthened. On a website like this, though, which is inherently a Bungie fan site and not an objective video game analysis site, there is a shortage of people who are willing to ask the "tough" questions, and aren't willing to excuse/gloss over everything just because "it's Bungie."

He has low points for sure, but he provides a different and unique perspective. His opinions themselves aren't necessarily valuable, but the expression of them certainly is. I think we're extremely lucky to have an admin corps who realize this and give him more range than he might be allowed on other fan forums.

EDIT: He also likes the attention, sure. Not that I can relate to that, though. Team Schooly D for life. Buy our shirts. Schooly was right.

Complete thread:

RSS Feed of thread