Confirmed... with a few downsides

by Jillybean, Wednesday, June 19, 2013, 15:47 (3956 days ago) @ yakaman

From an infrastructure point of view - I'm absolutely amazed by the quality of my mum's satellite broadband that she just had installed (after BT decided that five minutes out of town and half an hour from Glasgow was just far too far away to have a landline). It struggles with online play but things like streaming video and its downloads and uploads speeds are very reasonable.

The technology will improve, undoubtedly, in the coming years. People will become more used to renting licenses as opposed to owning things. People are still bitching about kindles, remember. It's a bigger leap than content producers would like to think.

Now I'm deeply in love with my kindle, my mp3 downloads and my [meagre] Steam library. You know what all of those things have in common? A individual price tag under £10. I think there's a big price threshold for license library in the minds of most consumers. I buy all three of those license types on a whim, I'm riskier about those purchases than I am about game purchases. My buying behaviours for licenses don't suit how I buy and play games. Either my (the consumer) buying behaviours for games need to change, or the production of the kind of games publishers want to sell of these games need to change. I think both of those options are possible, but not yet.

Complete thread:

RSS Feed of thread