Score one for consumer rights.

by kapowaz, Wednesday, June 19, 2013, 23:52 (3935 days ago) @ ShadowOfTheVoid

First-sale Doctrine respected! Don't have to ask "permission" on a regular basis to be "allowed" to use your own property!

This attitude is infuriating. It's shallow, shortsighted and inaccurate. I think Jason Chen hit the nail on the head here: The Internet Just Made Microsoft Kill a Car for a Faster Horse.

Also, all we've done here is kicked the can further down the road. Eventually the concept of buying games on physical media is going to seem terribly archaic; with Steam and the App Store, the future of buying games is through account-bound licenses. The physical media they might come on are irrelevant. One day, consoles won't use physical media, and we'll have to deal with (i.e. accept) the realities of a future, but take that hand in hand with the benefits (no disc swapping! day one releases without pre-orders or having to wait for a home delivery! play any game you own anywhere!)

Really what this whole story shows me most is that a (relatively) small number of very entitled people can make a lot of noise about something really not that significant/important in the grand scheme of things, and actually get results. Shame we can't change anything that actually matters.

Complete thread:

RSS Feed of thread