Red's new light level/ranking system. (Destiny)

by red robber @, Crawfish Country, Saturday, June 11, 2016, 05:07 (2927 days ago) @ red robber

So after a little thought, I've completely fixed the level/light level debacle. All weapons and armors are completely removed from this system. Guns do fixed amounts of damage by weapon type/archetype, and armors are strictly for looks and perks.

I'd have ten global stats for all classes and each stat has 10 light levels.

1. Attack-starts at 0% and maxes out at +5% increase
2. Health-starts at 95HP and maxes out 105HP
3. Armor-95HP to 105HP
4. Recovery-starts at 4sec maxes out at 2sec
5. Agility-0% to 10% increase in movement speeds/height
6. Intellect-starts at 5 min to super max 3 min
7. Discipline-1 minute to 30sec
8. Strength-1 minute to 30sec
9. Stamina-0 to 5 secs added to length of sprint and reduction in cooldown between sprints
10. Capacity-0 to 20% increase in ammo reserve for all weapons

10 stats with 10 light levels gives a total of 100 points to be filled. Assuming the same content DLC pattern from Destiny 1, here's how I'd setup the Leveling system.

To start, all subclasses would have 10 points preassigned to certain stats that fit their roles. Ex: A defender would have more health and armor, say 3 levels of each, 2 levels of capacity, and 2 intellect. This starts the defender down the path of a "defensive" character.

So D1 had Vanilla, TDB, HoW, TTK, tiny April DLC, and assuming finally Rise or Iron. So for Vanilla D2 we'd start at 30 as the max level giving you a total of 40 light levels out of the 100 possible. DLC 1 & 2 would go up 5 each for a max level of 40 and LL of 50 for Destiny 2 Y1. Expansion 1 (think TTK) would bump you up 10 more with the following DLC adding 5 for a Y2 max of 55 level/65 light level. The Final DLC would bump you up 10 more for a total of 65 level/75 light level.

Of course this would all need tweaking/testing to see how well it would work. The range of stat increases may be too small/big, the amount of total light levels attainable may be too many by the end of all DLC's. But I feel like this is a good start to simplify things for everyone from the developers to the community. Like Cruel mentioned, it would be nice to know that certain weapons will do specific damages for all folks, with the difference being the attack value of your character.

I had to add the stamina and capacity to make a nice round 100 point system. I'm a big fan of slowing down the overall speed of the game slightly. I think that the world we play in would feel much bigger without so much sprinting, and it would be even nicer if they removed sparrows as well. Imagine having to walk the entire cosmodrome! :) Just that alone would make the world seem larger to us as players without having to actually make it that much bigger.

In hindsight having a total of 75 out of 100 points may be too much. 7 maxed out bars seems like alot. Perhaps we could set up a system where the final max takes extra levels to fill if you want to fully max it out at level 10. Or simply reduce the number of levels. I'd imagine the most maxed out levels we'd want per character would be 3-4? That way it feels like a player can specialize.

Complete thread:

RSS Feed of thread