I think you're confused about how it works (Destiny)

by CruelLEGACEY @, Toronto, Tuesday, June 21, 2016, 21:13 (2926 days ago) @ Cody Miller

In that case, why have overlap at all? Why not just see the wall in the distance and be unable to get there? If you can't walk from the forgotten shore to the plague lands then what's the point in even having them connected? Seems like a strange choice. Just make it separate and let us see the wall in skybox.

Might save development costs from partial geometry re-use.
Use emotional connection and create contrast by using differences in a familiar scene.

Why WOULDN'T you have overlap? I LOVE the idea of seeing an area I played in, at a different time.

So someone joins your fireteam and they haven't reached the point in the story where the cosmodrome changes for them. Oops. Separating them is the only practical way to do it which is why it is separate.. But they aren't keeping them separate totally, but linking them in a small way that isn't really linking.

The Plaguelands and Old Russia are 2 separate patrol zones with their own landing zones.
The Plaguelands ALSO happens to take place at a different point in time. Included in the Plaguelands zone is a portion of the Old Russia environment, as it looks in this new time period.

The problem you are describing is impossible. If you're on patrol in the Plaguelands, somebody can't join your fire team unless they've also unlocked the Plaguelands.

Yes, I know that. I just outlined why they had to do it that way.

I am saying since they did it that way, they can't be connected. So why do halfsies and have overlaying geometry, if the point of sharing geometry is to connect spaces?

Because the spaces are still connected, just in 2 different timelines.

Complete thread:

RSS Feed of thread