Because PvP was an afterthought (Destiny)

by Ragashingo ⌂, Official DBO Cryptarch, Wednesday, November 02, 2016, 21:18 (2782 days ago) @ Kahzgul

I'm too lazy to look up the article that said it, but Destiny was not designed to be a competitive PvP game, nor was it even designed to be a 50/50 PvE/PvP game like it is in practice. Rather, it was designed to be a PvE game that also had PvP. So the netcode was written to support PvE (and it's completely great at that. Let's not forget - destiny PvE is nearly flawless when it comes to connection quality) and likely adapted to PvP later rather than being wholly re-written for the PvP environment.

That sounds pretty made up to me. Maybe go ahead and look up your article?

For one, a laggy player can screw up a Strike just as badly as one can screw up a Crucible match. Your "PVE is nearly flawless when it comes to connection quality" is just a complete fabrication. PVE enemies will stop moving, stop responding, weapons shots will freeze in midair, enemies can stop taking damage, they'll die and immediately come back to life, they'll blip around the play area, they'll repeat jumps over and over, etc, etc.

But that's all spit in the breeze on my part..

Complete thread:

RSS Feed of thread