Competition (Gaming)

by Kahzgul, Thursday, February 02, 2017, 20:47 (2659 days ago) @ Cody Miller

http://blog.bioware.com/2017/01/31/a-note-about-our-new-ip/

Word on the street is that this new IP is intended to compete with Destiny, and is coming mid next year.

So far nothing has really measured up has it? I never played the Division, but I heard it was bad.

The Division was great as you leveled up. I actually LOVED the leveling game. Then, inexplicably, the game completely 100% changed at the endgame and became garbage because the enemies changed from being one or two shot headshots to fifty plus. Completely changed the feel.

I thought Mass Effect was bad mechanically, but all I hear is great things about the story and RPG elements.

The multiplayer in ME3 was some of the best gaming I've ever had. So. Good.

I would love to see a real competitor so both studios up their game.

Yeah, so much this. For some reason no one has figured out how to properly design an investment game, even though Diablo 2 gave everyone that roadmap more than a decade ago. There are, in fact, a bunch of Japanese games that have great investment play, but they're almost entirely investment with minimal other elements (Puzzle and Dragons is probably the best of those, really fun).

Anyway, it only really takes one team to make it work. I'm hoping that ME:Andromeda gets it right. The pieces are all there just waiting to be put together.

Complete thread:

RSS Feed of thread