Competition (Gaming)

by cheapLEY @, Thursday, February 02, 2017, 23:07 (2658 days ago) @ CruelLEGACEY

One thing that both Destiny and The Division have in common (IMO) is that in both cases, the developers created this massive framework for the game, then struggled to create enough fun things to do to fill out that whole framework. I think there is an opportunity for a developer like Bioware to come along and create a tighter, less sprawling, refined alternative. Start with a fantastic core (like ME3's multiplayer), then add pieces to that as long as they don't detract/interfere with the core loop.

You're not wrong, and ME3's multiplayer seems like a great starting point for that. If they can blow that out to a bigger experience worthy of a full game, I don't think Destiny would even come close to measuring up (in its current form, anyway--we'll see what Destiny 2 has in store).

Mass Effect 3 is probably my favorite online game of last generation. To think that basically everyone heard about online multiplayer in a Mass Effect game and said, "Yeah, that'll be some tacked on garbage," and then it ultimately turned out to be the best thing about that entire game.

Complete thread:

RSS Feed of thread