::Onions:: I've lost my best friend. (Off-Topic)

by INSANEdrive, ಥ_ಥ | f(ಠ‿↼)z | ᕕ( ᐛ )ᕗ| ¯\_(ツ)_/¯, Saturday, May 20, 2017, 12:53 (2542 days ago)

We are assembled here today to pay final respects to our honored dead. And yet it should be noted that in the midst of our sorrow, this death takes place in the shadow of new life, the sunrise of a new world; a world that our beloved comrade gave his life to protect and nourish. He did not feel this sacrifice a vain or empty one, and we will not debate his profound wisdom at these proceedings. Of my friend, I can only say this: of all the souls I have encountered in my travels, his was the most... human.

I was going to make this members only, but... I want everyone to know of this. So here I go.

I lost a member of my family today. I will never, but ever, have a Cat like this little one ever again. I'm overjoyed with the 14 years of memories, deeply sad that such joy must end. That such a raw truth had to pass. So now I sit here, half in slow tears, doing what social creatures do. Share the burden so that I may settle my grief a steady weight to spare myself of it all crashing upon me. I task myself with the impossible; trying to describe what made this one-of-a-kind creature so it's own.

Born November 28th, of 2002, and blessed to us in early 2003 (which is a story in its own right,) with its first little-meow, we knew this cat was something else. Popping out it's little box, it's Devon Rex ears all in show, we struggled in the early days to figure out a name. Once the name was figured out, It couldn't have been more obvious. Mr.Spock... And just like that name sake - 2nd in command, our cat Mr.Spock was deftly intelligent and could take charge when he felt he needed to. Yet unlike its name sake - so completely human. A Heat Seaker, joy for him was warmth where ever he could find it, and so we gave it both in his own little heater, and all the love we could muster which would always be returned 100 %.

I struggle deeply at the moment to speak of those early days, so I will speak of Mr.Spocks later days.

While he would tend to himself from time to time, Mr.Spock all in all was a people person...er...cat. Loved being with people, dogs,... hated other cats. In short, Mr.Spock loved love. There are many things I shall miss, but of it all what I shall miss the most is this. When it was time for bed - Mr.Spock would protest in the little Purr-Meow that as far as I know only he did. So I'd get to bed, open my arms and say "Alright - Come on", and with a little skip he would jump into my arms. He often slept like a Childs teddy bear, his little head on my heart or shoulder. He snored sometimes. Always surreal.

In 2016 - as seemed the pattern of that year, Death tried to take him. Twice. A story in its own right. Heart medication become a thing the second time around, and he made a full recovery. Seeing a 14 year old cat be a kitten was truly lovely, but I knew that the clock was ticking. In these last few months, before sleeping for the night, I would look to this little one and say to my self - I will never have a cat like this ever again. Then I would imagine him passing, and give him the biggest hug I could, returned with an honest to God purr.

Last night around 1 AM EST, I saw something was off. Mr.Spock was breathing very heavy with a quick start and stop. I turned on his heater, and set him by for his comfort. At the 3 AM, I had to go to bed, and I said to him - Thank you Mr.Spock. I didn't know - but it felt like it would be likely. Best say what never needed to be said just in case. At 8 this morning, found him in another room - Cold. Expression that of what you may see with the stuffed figures in a museum.

November 28th, 2002 - May 20th, 2017

I took these yesterday, on the 19th and 17th respectively. They are the last living images.

[image]

Rest well Mr.Spock. If it is willing in the grasp of all reality, I hope to see you again my friend.

I miss you.

Complete thread:

RSS Feed of thread