Marketing Trends *sOT* (Gaming)

by ManKitten, The Stugotz is strong in me., Monday, June 12, 2017, 18:19 (2519 days ago) @ Morpheus

I'm definitely not trying to sound like an expert here, because I'm not...but my day life is in marketing, and what you are annoyed by is a rampant trend right now. And what I mean by that is, stale boring stuff across the board. It's probably more of a macro problem that is a reflection of our society but marketers these days are scared to death to push the envelope and be creative because it might "offend" 0.002% of the population.

Therefore you get stuck with names like:

Playstation 1, 2, 3, 4
Xbox, 360, One, One S, One X
Galaxy s5, s6, s7
iPhone 6, 6S, 7, SE*

OR WORSE, any product in the world with "i" in front of it because, hell, it worked for Apple.

But when it comes to, brand recognition, and user retention, it makes sense to create a lineage, it shows what is most current or "better" - especially helpful for tech. I think you're right though, about the xbox...it's confusing. (starting with the naming of the original One)

*Apple really threw me for a loop with the iPhone SE (which I ended up getting - guts of the 7 in the body of a 6)

Don't really know why I typed all this, but there you go.

Complete thread:

RSS Feed of thread