Thoughts on Weapons Balance (Gaming)

by INSANEdrive, ಥ_ಥ | f(ಠ‿↼)z | ᕕ( ᐛ )ᕗ| ¯\_(ツ)_/¯, Friday, July 28, 2017, 12:18 (2473 days ago) @ Blackt1g3r

So it feels like maybe Bungie decided to move Special weapons into the power weapons category due to the difficulty in finding a good balance between primary, special, and heavy in PvP. I wonder if there might have been other ways of accomplishing the same goal?

Oh goodness. I'm glad I'm not the only person who had this same thought. I recently watched Datto RAVE over the Fusion Rifle in D2B PvP. I sighed.

There is a way to make a balance in PvE & PvP. Make PvE different then PvP. In essence - Problem solved. Bungie simply has made things harder for themselves then it has to be. I don't mind them trying new things - I encourage it. As if, they needed my encouragement. Yet this experiment really feels like it has gone on too long already. Every time they fix it, they make a problem. After a while, I have to wonder is it those who do the balancing or the system they have to work with. Thought experiment: Give someone who surfboards professionally a plank of wood, how well do they do? Give some one who has never surfed ever a professional surfboard, how well do they do?

Does anyone here recall having any issue with weapon balance between the PvE and PvP of any of the Halo Games? I was much more a PvP person at the time, and I don't recall having any issues with either. While granted, the gameplay stylings were different, they also didn't have to change the load out scheme to try and "fix" the balance.

At the very least we know that PvE and PvP were separate things in Halo:CE, with separate numbers for each. How? Hardy LeBel, one of the designers of Halo: Combat Evolved's multiplayer: (Link)

I also pointed out that if we just used one set of data, as I was changing the gun data for multiplayer I might be damaging the overall balance of the single player game. Jason agreed, and we decided to “branch” the data and create two versions of the numbers, one for single player and the other for multiplayer

Halo: Combat Evolved's multiplayer! Arguably why we have PvP multiplayer in the first place!

This balancing problem is totally Bungies own doing, their own choice. The more they dig... well. Seems I'll know about it without needing to touch PvP. I hope they can prove me wrong if they stay the course.

Complete thread:

RSS Feed of thread