Wow. There are alot of Halo Refs. in this thread... (Gaming)

by INSANEdrive, ಥ_ಥ | f(ಠ‿↼)z | ᕕ( ᐛ )ᕗ| ¯\_(ツ)_/¯, Friday, July 28, 2017, 12:38 (2473 days ago) @ Kahzgul

Kahzgul: Oh boy. Something I know about.

The other problem is map design. Bungie is famous for their wide open spaces in the middle of their maps, but Destiny is very much the opposite, with circular maps that have an obstruction in the middle and lots of twists and turns with few, very controlled sightlines for sniping. This makes shotguns and snipers super effective. A sniper can hold an entire avenue of approach singlehandedly, usually with some cover, and a shotgunner is constantly popping around corners to catch people by surprise, already in shotgun range.

Imagine, if you will, playing Destiny on Blood Gulch. Wide open middle. Ledges at the extreme ends for sniping. Warrens on one side for shotguns. But the vast majority of the map is medium range engagements with very little cover. The game would be completely different. In fact, I imagine everyone would load up a sniper rifle at the start, and - as the game grew more chaotic, would switch to their primary weapons more and more. Or maybe my favorite all time map from any game ever, Hang 'em High. Harder to snipe there, some places where shotguns would be useful, but mostly, again, primary weapons because of the excellent target acquisition.

One more problem destiny has is a shocking lack of verticality in pvp arenas. Or rather, poor use of verticality in a game where vertical mobility is so great. The strength of the game is player control and mobility, and yet most of the maps are strictly linear with small elevation changes. There are very few alternate traversal paths which require deft movement to successfully navigate. That's not to say you couldn't make novel use of the vertical space, but it was almost always with the appearance of glitching the geometry (such as being on top of the pipes by B on rusted lands) rather than going somewhere the designers placed with intent. Anyway, all of that generally circular, generally linear design with few open spaces lends itself towards sniper and shotgun play.

...for some reason.

*Imagine playing Destiny on Blood Gulch*

Wow. Those Halo Maps really were open. I never really thought about this before. To be fair, there are some maps that - while not as open, are so large that they make for a better test to how Destiny would play in a Halo Map. Anything with a Vehicle option in Destiny is what I mean. Large game-play space.

I really don't have anything to say about your post right now, other then thank you. I didn't even consider the range and space of the maps into the thought of weapon balancing. Geez. Destines maps ARE really close combat spaces. Heh.

Complete thread:

RSS Feed of thread