Speculation Saturday #1: The Golden Age (Destiny)

by Ragashingo ⌂, Official DBO Cryptarch, Sunday, August 25, 2013, 14:34 (3868 days ago) @ General Vagueness

I think you're right, but I think it's not so much its closeness to the Sun as its small size that makes it a bad candidate for terraforming (at least in the relatively short term; if and when the Sun gets close to the end of its life and expands to humongous proportions, Mercury will be the first to go-- followed by Venus and possibly Earth).

Yeah. I think it’s just a bad place to be in general.

eh, maybe
I would think building techniques and technologies would grow right along with travel, weaponry, etc., so I think it would at least be not much more than today (i.e. a few years, up to a decade for a particularly large building).

I would like for FTL to be present or at least exist, but I don't think it would be needed for this. If the planet or moon is already livable, we could just send a large enough group of people there with some food and resources. They could, depending on the place, mine, build, farm, and make whatever else they might need, grow their population safely, and communicate with (most of) the rest of humanity with a maximum of... I had "a few days' delay" here and went to look stuff up and do math and it would actually be a maximum of about 4 hours and 15 minutes provided you stay near the major planets (that's Neptune to Earth at their farthest points from each other), but our travel speed at present is pretty abysmal, more than I thought, although it depends what you take as the fastest we've made something go, whether you want to include the gravity slingshot move, and how slowly you'd have to build up and lose speed for humans to survive the acceleration. Anyway here's a handy table of travel times around our solar system and here's something to give us hope for FTL.

Perhaps. Still I figure we can build large buildings within a decade or whatever today because things like the roads, water systems, machinery, electric grids, trucks, tool, and the factories to build all of that stuff are in place already. Building a fully functional city from nothing is going to take a while. And to do that on multiple planets, even with FTL, is going to take longer still. From what we’ve seen Humanity had major cities on Mercury, Venus, Mars, and at least settlements on moons of Jupiter and or Saturn. That's a lot of places undertaking huge construction jobs.

Also, where did you get the "200+ years" figure?

200 years was just a very rough estimate based on the above with a whole lot of gut instinct added to the equation in place of actual numbers.

I have a feeling the game, maybe the whole series, will hinge on the answer to that question, assuming we don't find out until the game's released. Then again, I also have a feeling it'll be one of those things that will have a few clues but no real answer present and won't matter to the story so it'll basically be there for people to make theories about.

Could be. For all it’s stunning visuals and its saving of Humanity I kinda get the sense that The Traveler is a bit secondary to the story that’ll be unfolding. Sure, it’ll be up there protecting The City, but there won’t be a ton of revelations and plot beats coming from it too often. Not that there won't be amazing things to discover in the mean time. Of course that’s just a wild guess!

Complete thread:

RSS Feed of thread