God of War--Initial Impressions *No Spoilers* (Gaming)

by Korny @, Dalton, Ga. US. Earth, Sol System, Saturday, April 21, 2018, 12:52 (2168 days ago) @ CruelLEGACEY

That's a great room. I initially tried to engage the enemies up close, but I accidentally recalled my ax mid-fight and got crushed by the ceiling. So on my next try, I just jumped back out from under the spikes and recalled my ax, crushing all the enemies in the room. Great stuff :)

Yeah, it's pretty funny when you realize that you could have just done that all along (and Atreus acknowledges it if you do).

PS, the control scheme definitely takes some getting used to, but it might help to change the controls up a bit (Sammy had to swap the bumpers and triggers, which I thought were fine).

Yeah I do find I've been fighting the controls somewhat. There's nothing wrong with the layout itself, I think... it's just that my muscle memory seems to keep diverting back to other games that use a different layout.

Right. When I started playing, I was pretty frustrated with the control scheme (I kept hitting Square to quick-melee, which is what Hellblade and The Last of Us both have it mapped to), but looking through the options, the default layouts made the most sense to me anyway, so I stuck with them (though I think I'm gonna remap quickturn to L3, since Sammy's been having success with that).

Once I got used to it, I was happy that I stuck with the default options, especially chaining moves together. I'm playing on the harder difficulty, so being quick on the combos is a lot easier when L1 and R1 are instantly available and responsive as block and quick melee, with the Heavy melee and throw still available at a moment's notice, and dodge being the closest face button to hit from a turn.

For me, anyway...

Complete thread:

RSS Feed of thread