God of War- 2018's Horizon Zero Dawn-tier game? (Gaming)

by cheapLEY @, Monday, April 23, 2018, 08:24 (2189 days ago) @ stabbim

I have borrowed a PS4, and I started playing through last night. I'm only an hour or two in but so far it seems quite good. The sort of over-the-shoulder view doesn't seem detrimental, and that was probably my biggest worry. It didn't take very much editing in the menus to good a button layout that feels familiar to me. If I'm going to have any trouble at all, I suspect it'll be from not identifying the buttons fast enough in QTEs. It's been a long time since I played anything on PlayStation.

So far, there hasn’t been an really egregious QTEs. Mostly just for when Kratos moves heavy objects, and that’s just mashing the correct button (which I switched on the options to just holding the button). There are no QTEs for bosses like there used to be (that I’ve seen anyway).

The Leviathan axe feels good. God of War has done a lot of different weapon styles over the years, but this still feels fresh. Switching between it and hand-to-hand feels pretty natural to me. The old games always had different weapons/forms to switch between. This is just more fluid.

It feels incredible. There are a lot of options there that you’ll unlock. Some neat combos that aren’t super complex, but a really good variety of options that allow combat to be much deeper than it appears for the first few hours. Once you get out to the central hub, things really start to open up and give you more options.

I'm really looking forward to listening to Christopher Judge for the next 25+ hours and am really happy that he got the part. I always thought he had more to offer than just being Teal'c (not that that role wasn't great).

It doesn’t hurt that Kratos is just angry Teal’c. We straight up get a Teal’c “indeed” at one point pretty early and I was just grinning.

Complete thread:

RSS Feed of thread