Something’s Missing: Characters That Do Things (Destiny)

by Ragashingo ⌂, Official DBO Cryptarch, Thursday, April 26, 2018, 22:23 (2347 days ago) @ cheapLEY

Yeah... the Vanguard in particular could use some direction that fits with their character... or rather what their characters should be....

For Ikora:

I think her storyline in Destiny 2 was suppose to be about a couple of things. First and foremost, Ikora ran away from her duties as a Guardian because she was terrified of dying. There are moments that this comes through well enough when you stand near her on Io. It’s subtle but it’s there. The second change in her character in Destiny 2 seemed to be about... admitting that she did not have all the answers.

For her, there are a number of ways I might go. First, I’d have her discover something new. Something about the Light or Darkness that was previously unknown. Perhaps something troubling. It’s already been hinted at that Light and Darkness are two sides of the same coin, for instance. So I’d have her struggle with that. Explore that. Maybe abuse it a little before choosing the Light.

To fulfill and continue her fear of dying her final death, I think she need to react or possibly even overreact to her cowardice and fear. Maybe this would take the form throwing herself into impossible situations. Or maybe that’s what Guardians already do and instead she might do something like push herself to exhaustion engaging The City’s enemies again and again while doing her best not to be hit or injured or killed. Maybe without using her Light.

“We must all be ready to fight at our best even if the Light fails us as it has before and may do again,” Ikora insisted when she was finally able catch her breath.

Or, maybe she seeks out pain and punishment. Going into battle but not healing herself / allowing her Ghost to heal. Imagine her taking perverse pleasure in feeling her lifeblood draining away. It would be up to us or another character to pull her back from the sick path she has put herself on. Alas, Destiny is only T for Teen...

For Cayde-6

He actually did alright by going out and doing something kinda useful in Destiny, but at the same time he wasn’t at all effective without help. I wouldn’t want to pull Cayde-6 completely away from humor, but at the same time he needs to realize that his inability to work with Vex tech nearly cost Humanity the Red War.

I’m actually having a hard time “fixing” Cayde. How exactly do you mix his humor and impulsiveness with understanding and determination to not mess up again? It’s really a tough nut to crack. Here’s the best I came up with:

Cayde-6 needs someone to be concerned about on a personal level. Honestly, I think pairing him with one of the Ikora versions above might work. They already have something of a respectful yet slightly playful chemistry the few times they interact. Burdening Cayde-6 with a self destructive Ikora would make it so he has to blunt his wisecracks and playfulness in order to try and convince her that her choices are hurting her and others. Have Cayde-6 be a friend who is deeply concerned for the wellbeing of his friend.

Then, near the end of that story, you can have Cayde-6 break out the humor a little as the worst of the other person’s problems or issues start to fade into the past.

“I... honstely did not think you would follow me so far into this mistake of my making. Or that it would be you who pulled me back from it. Thank you,” Ikora said, as he helped her up.

“I had to... and... well... none of you ever have credited me with good decisions. Maybe I’m just here to prove you right,” Cayde-6 replied with a goad that saw the Warlock beside him unable to hold back a genuine smile.

For Zavala:

It’s a good bit easier to address the next steps of a commander who nearly lost everything. Under Zavala’s command, The City stopped expanding after The Battle of Twilight Gap. It contracted back into its tall, strong walls and effectively abandoned nearby territory regardless of the strategic value. This worked fine when The City was more or less unassailable, but by having everyone huddled in one place, they were easy pickings for the Red Legion when the Guardians lost their Light.

What Zavala should want to do is kick off a new age of expansion for The City. He would reach out to what towns and settlements exist outside The City and offer them City weapons and manpower. The Guardians under his command would be used more for strikes against enemy targets and less for defensive patrols and garrisons.

To the player this might be seen in doing missions in support of outlying towns or clearing out enemy bases that would then become outlying settlements. It would be great to have a few missions where we assist or are assisted by the Forces of The City which would consist of Frames and non-Guardian military... oh and have Zavala on the ground leading some of these FOTC troops in at least one mission.

”It may cost us, but we will take that complex back from the Fallen and show them that they will NOT be allowed to rest anywhere that The City intends to stand,” the Vanguard commander said, rallying his troops for the upcoming battle.”

Complete thread:

RSS Feed of thread