Something’s Missing: Playercentrism (Destiny)

by Kermit @, Raleigh, NC, Sunday, April 29, 2018, 09:22 (2344 days ago) @ narcogen

In Bungie’s Halo games, of course the player character (usually the Master Chief, but also the Rookie and Noble 6 and the Arbiter) did a bunch of important things. Ultimately we defeated the Flood and the Covenant among many many other acts of small and large scale. But, in the Halo series, storyline characters also did a lot. For instance:

[snip]

I want the Destiny that was supposed to be “bigger than Halo.”

Destiny IS bigger than Halo, and characters do do things.

The player character in Destiny doesn't do everything because they can't-- there are too many of them.

This complaint is literally about the problem that the entire fictional universe in Destiny doesn't revolve around the player character the way it does in most FPS games.

If anything, the parts of latter D1 and D2 that ring weird to me are the bits where they try and make it sound like the world does revolve around you.

When Holliday says that you're the Guardian that Zavala "won't shut up about"... who is she talking about? Me? Or every other damn Guardian in the Tower?

When Cayde says we've got "the Guardian"... which one does he mean?

Heck, if anything the unit around which Destiny's story should revolve is the fireteam, not "the Guardian".

I completely agree. And your post prompted another thought. They manage to have different dialogue that reflects your gender or even whether your character experienced D1. Would it be that hard to have the dialogue reflect whether you're playing as a fireteam. That would underscore this unique aspect of Destiny--that you are one of many.

Complete thread:

RSS Feed of thread