Something’s Missing: Characters That Do Things (Destiny)

by ManKitten, The Stugotz is strong in me., Friday, April 27, 2018, 06:29 (2346 days ago) @ Ragashingo

I'm probably the last person that needs to jump into a lore conversation but, if drawing comparisons between Halo and Destiny, from what I understand from each story, the main difference is this:

In Halo, we are literally defending our lives. The goal of the Covenant was to eliminate our existence (before we even knew about the Halo array). When making a last stand for survival, there is nothing more heroic and noble than sacrificing yourself so the others can survive the encounter or attempting that long shot tactic, because, the only other option is extinction.

In Destiny, we are defending our lives but also defending the Traveler. Cabal and Fallen don't care that much about us personally, they just want the Traveler and we are standing in the way. We are the defenders against the aggressors that are circumstantially attacking us. When defending a third party, you either succeed or fail. You can't sacrifice yourself in that situation, you just die.

(Definitely some nuance in what I just said, but hopefully you understand the point I was trying to make.)

Complete thread:

RSS Feed of thread