Detroit - Do the Human Thing (Gaming)

by Kermit @, Raleigh, NC, Thursday, May 24, 2018, 10:26 (2161 days ago) @ Cody Miller

Having been a fan of Quantic Dream for some time now, I was excited to get Detroit. One can talk about the poor writing all day long, but their games were fairly advanced in their interactive storytelling.

https://www.polygon.com/2018/1/14/16890536/quantic-dream-workplace-harassment-allegations

But that gives me pause. On one hand, most of the complaints have been dismissed by french courts, and Quantic Dream are themselves going to court with Le Monde who initially published the allegations.

But on the other hand, Harvey Weinstein was just rumor and speculation for many years. When you hear someone you know tell their story with regards to him, it's truly heartbreaking. Inaction is why the behavior persisted, and still persists elsewhere in the film industry.

De Fondaumière is accused of forcing himself upon employees at company social events.

So damn. Do I get this game or not? No. I have to sit this one out, and encourage others here to do the same. Money is the only thing that really seems to change people's minds here.

That's your call, but the accused could be innocent (and the studio has just released a official statement claiming that). False accusations could be being used as weapons to settle scores. There are many unknowns here, especially in regards to "offensive material." I've worked places with wildly different standards on that score--one where f-bombs fell like rain and others where mild cursing raised eyebrows, just as an example. The sexual harassment accusation should be taken seriously but should not be assumed to be true.

I don't see any issue with deciding to hold off buying the game. I also don't see any issue with buying the game given that the facts are in dispute, and we can be certain that innocent developers worked on this game and THEY WILL BE HURT if enough people don't buy it.

What I don't quite get is your rush to judgment. Whose minds are you changing, given that no one has said the alleged behavior is okay?

If you see me in the jury box when that neighbor (the one you didn't know was in the mob) frames you for murder, don't worry. I'll assume you're innocent until proven guilty. Should I be worried if I see you in the jury box?

Complete thread:

RSS Feed of thread