On Being Fair (Gaming)

by EffortlessFury @, Monday, May 28, 2018, 00:28 (2154 days ago) @ narcogen

While you may fire that babysitter, it's by no means fair. We should be fair in all aspects of life; we decide to jettison that fairness for one reason or another, but it's still a failing all the same.

Wait wait wait.

So let's say a neighbor who also previously employed this babysitter tells you something negative-- it could be about abuse or potential abuse, the example need not be specific.

To some extent, the example does need to be specific; there would be follow up questions. Why in the hell was I able to acquire this babysitter if there is legitimacy to these claims?

Concerned, you confront the babysitter. They deny it.

Certainly lots of things factor in-- how credible the neighbor is, how familiar you are with them, and the same for the babysitter.

But assuming you believe there's a non-zero chance of the allegation being true, you have to decide whether or not to continue to employ this person and balance the need to be "fair" against potential harm to your child.

I'll quote myself:

We should be fair in all aspects of life; we decide to jettison that fairness for one reason or another, but it's still a failing all the same.

Complete thread:

RSS Feed of thread