Detroit - Do the Human Thing (Gaming)

by Kermit @, Raleigh, NC, Thursday, May 24, 2018, 12:38 (2135 days ago) @ Cody Miller

I'm not talking about silencing anyone or defending the accused. I'm talking only about assuming the innocence of the accused--that used to be a basic principle.

It is a basic principle in law. The idea being that everyone should get a fair trial; being convicted and having your freedom taken away is a huge deal, and we recognize that to be so. It should only be done when we know someone is guilty. The presumption of innocence is so that the accused can be fairly treated, and not have bias affect the conviction.

But we are not in courtroom. That principle does not apply to other actions. If someone told you that your usual babysitter was a pedophile, you'd fire their ass and find another one. I doubt you would do an exhaustive investigation all the while leaving your child with them.

We make judgements all the time in life, and it is not necessarily wrong to do so. But do not apply a legal principle where it doesn't really belong.

While you may fire that babysitter, it's by no means fair. We should be fair in all aspects of life; we decide to jettison that fairness for one reason or another, but it's still a failing all the same.

What exactly is 'fair'? Fair is communism. We are capitalist. The unfairness of capitalism is what drives innovation. A fair world would be one of stagnation.

No, communism pays lip service to fairness, but it's never worked without killing millions of people. Capitalism has been more successful at being fair because it's based on a fair exchange of value. The benefit of the system is that individuals are motivated to provide good value out of self-interest. It's not perfect, but it's pretty good.

Complete thread:

RSS Feed of thread