This is it, then. (Destiny)

by Coaxkez, Friday, June 01, 2018, 19:35 (2127 days ago) @ cheapLEY
edited by Coaxkez, Friday, June 01, 2018, 19:43

I mean, right? This feels like they're priming us for an eventual announcement that they will be ending their involvement with Destiny and moving on to new things. There's very few other ways to read this, IMO. They can barely support Destiny as it is right now. What will the future of this series look like with their attention split between different projects?

It's a bittersweet moment for me. On the one hand, Bungie is a talented studio filled with creative ideas, and I have always felt that their decision to limit themselves to working on one franchise at a time prevents them from exploring some of those ideas. I want to see a version of Bungie that just makes cool shit and doesn't worry so much about building massive multi-million dollar franchises out of it. I also feel that, as much as I have enjoyed my time with Destiny, I have to acknowledge that Bungie seems to have major difficulties with keeping the game fresh and supported with regular content updates. The addition of partner studios like High Moon Studios and Vicarious Visions has helped to a degree, but it still feels like the game just isn't getting content drops with the frequency that its design demands.

On the other hand, I will be sad to see Bungie abandon this series with so much of its potential left untapped. Now, make no mistake: This is definitely not the last we will see of this franchise. Bungie still has a contract with Activision that must be honored, which means one of two things will happen. Either Bungie will fulfill the terms of the contract and deliver two more games (unlikely, in my opinion, although a Bungie-developed D3 is possible), or Bungie will sell the IP to Activision and future games in the series will be developed by studios like High Moon Studios and Vicarious Visions. I'm not sure how I feel about that. Vicarious Visions, at the very least, has shown with Warmind that they have the ability to create a fun experience within the world created by Bungie, but I do not know if they have the ability to scale that up to a full game, or whether they can maintain the creative direction that Bungie has taken with the series.

Time will tell. I do feel strongly that this signals the beginning of the end. I get the same vibe from this announcement that I got when Bungie announced their split with Microsoft in 2007.

EDIT: I missed an opportunity to title this post "This is it, baby. Hold me." Damn it!

Complete thread:

RSS Feed of thread