On Retiring (Destiny)

by Kermit @, Raleigh, NC, Wednesday, June 06, 2018, 11:53 (2122 days ago) @ Ragashingo

It's interesting. I haven't really thought past Destiny and one of my thoughts has been to somewhat retire... from so closely following video games. I'm just not sure there will ever be a series quite like this again that I enjoy so much on so many levels.

That, and I'm not sure I want to keep engaging in the "This one game is meant to be your hobby" style of gaming. As much as I enjoy Destiny, it's games like the recent God of War or Hellblade: Senua's Sacrifice that I can enjoy the heck of and then put aside that I think are untimely more impactful and meaningful.

I'm totally with you and have been thinking the same thing. Other studios have surpassed Bungie's best when it comes to narrative, which is what I care most about. Destiny has been great, but not what I imagined before release.

I'm about to out myself as a filthy casual--I've been hanging around bungie.org sites for years and definitely was a fan, but gaming didn't become my primary hobby until about 10 years ago, when it provided an escape for some stuff I was going through.

I don't imagine my mix of interests will stay the same forever, and the only thing that bothers me about that change is the possible social impact. Relationships keep me engaged more than the game at this point. That's not a crack on the game.

Complete thread:

RSS Feed of thread