This is it, then. (Destiny)

by Malagate @, Sea of Tranquility, Wednesday, June 06, 2018, 06:08 (2151 days ago) @ cheapLEY

You're not wrong. But we still have one more game. And, as Cody said, I doubt that will be the last we see of Destiny.

One more game isn't going to solve the things that are inherently wrong with the way Destiny has been handled from the beginning. We're not suddenly going to get a coherent narrative.

I think the most significant chance there is for things to be wrapped up neatly and with any gravitas is in a third installment; but they've left more work to be done than I think is reasonable for us to expect to see. Think about what happened to Halo canon after Halo 3. I doubt it's going to be pretty; Bungie have already severely retconned their own lore into the ground and we're only on the second game. And think about how often you hear the same complaint about Destiny: People have a hard time caring about events because most characters are little more than cardboard cutouts.

At this point, I would also be surprised if Bungie's next game wasn't similar. I suspect it will also be an always-connected shared-world something. I don't see them abandoning that concept now.

I think their infrastructure and internal processes have probably been shored up to the point that this format is kind of what they're geared for now. With the end-of-all-things aspect of the mythos in play, I'd say the Destiny IP could essentially be played out forever, as long as nobody cares too much about the story making any sense. They can always hand the reins over to Activision.

I certainly hope that if they start developing other games in parallel; they're games that are entirely different from what they've been doing. Science-fantasy is so broad it's hard for me to conceive of Bungie doing anything like what I've come to expect from them and it not seeming like Destiny.

Complete thread:

RSS Feed of thread