My crappy prediction (Destiny)

by Malagate @, Sea of Tranquility, Thursday, June 21, 2018, 08:07 (2128 days ago) @ MacAddictXIV

Nah. My prediction is that the marketing is bullshit. Cayde will “die” but we’ll somehow get him back as Cayde-7 or something like that. Not buying their hype or that they’d blow a reveal that supposedly has real consequences in marketing. Could be wrong, but we’ll see.

Initially, I would have agreed with you.

I think they're in a position where blowing that reveal is the best thing they can do to get people to sit up and actually pay attention. They need something to get people to even care at at this point. I certainly hope they don't bring him back as Cayde-7 or otherwise have him revived. They're out there hammering "dead is dead," and if they walk that back I'll be extremely disappointed.

They couldn't even kill Ikora, even when the story they set up was practically begging for it.

Yeah, "Dead is Dead". Because they're not specifying Cayde-6>

I'll put money on Cayde-7, otherwise we're getting a new character to be the comic relief, which I think would be a bad move. And Cayde-7 losing some of his personality and memories in the process of becoming will be the real tragedy, given what we know of his origins. It's a bid for gravitas, and it may just work. The character we know, in any case, will cease to be.

If they do that it won’t work. It will just be a cheap trick. Death has to mean something to be effective. You don’t use gimmicks to suddenly make your story better. You actually have to write something meaningful and compelling.

100% agree here, but I don't see that happening. I'd be happy to be wrong, but what with how hard they dialed up the Cayde marketing through pre-launch, he's been even more central to the tone for D2, not less. And sure, maybe it was done in order to build him up just to they could let us down with his death and actually feel something. To which I'd say nice try, but no cigar.

So say it really does go that way. What's done from that point to maintain the brand identity and tone? And who steps up as Hunter Vanguard? Hawthorne?

Not gonna lie, I'd welcome it. But I don't have confidence they'll make that choice.

Well, bringing him back as Cayde-7 as a completely different personality and all that would be worse than him being dead. Then we see him but he isn't at all the Cayde we know and love. It's like a constant reminder of what we lost.

Bingo. We'd have more details on his past than he would. He wouldn't remember the things we remember, he might not even believe people when they told him. There's a compelling play of identity there. Just imagine the interactions with Failsafe from that point.

Bungie keeps the manufactured gravitas, he does technically die according to whatever they decide the canon is, and they don't have to deal with the fallout of taking real risks with a real narrative. And the expansion is more or less neatly bookended, like the others, aside from a new shader (and maybe a new location) for the Hunter Vanguard.

Complete thread:

RSS Feed of thread