Tangent incoming (Destiny)

by Robot Chickens, Thursday, June 21, 2018, 10:36 (2129 days ago) @ cheapLEY

And any sort of bringing him back and just maintaining the status quo will make me officially not give a shit about anything that happens in Destiny's story.

This has always been my struggle with the Destiny Universe. There is no evidence of evolution or consequence as you explore. We killed Crota. I guess his blades stopped showing up on earth, but we're still fighting Hive everywhere like we always have. We killed Skolas, but the Fallen are in the exact places, wearing the exact same clothes they've always worn. The taken still fight us after having Oryx destroyed. We ruined the Cabal's attack on earth. Whenever I visit the European Dead zone I'm not convinced we made any kind of dent in their numbers or offensive capabilities.

The shared world shooter has very little space to evolve. You can do it in between games, or you can do the SIVA-earth thing which is probably not very easily done. It's really hard for a game designed like Destiny to have a narrative that shows the weight of your actions in any real way. This is part of why I think Destiny does lore so well and does regular narrative without much gravitas. I may be in the minority, but I really liked Destiny 2's campaign story. Sure it had it's flaws, but it was fun and it set up the game spaces so they make sense. Anything after that doesn't really have the room to shape those spaces. Sure, I can have a lot of fun in those spaces (public events, lost sectors, Court of Oryx/Escalation protocol stuff), but they'll never have any impact on the narrative. That feels weird.

Complete thread:

RSS Feed of thread