Tangent incoming (Destiny)

by Malagate @, Sea of Tranquility, Friday, June 22, 2018, 12:15 (2107 days ago) @ Blackt1g3r

I think there is an interesting contrast in Fortnite: Battle Royale here. Fornite has a lore-only "story", but it actually impacts the game-world everyone plays in. Season 3 teased a meteor coming by it appearing in the sky, then having small meteors fall from the sky during games more often as the season progressed, then having all the tvs have an emergency on them warning of the imminent meteor impact. Then Season 4 started and part of the map is now a huge crater. Each week they seem to adjust the map slightly to progress the story for Season 4 along as well. I sort of wish that Bungie would just go all-in and do something similar where if you aren't playing the game during a certain period of time you just don't get to see certain content. That goes a long way to making a world feel more alive. I don't know how that could work with having a "campaign" though, but I think if Bungie wants to keep using a shared world, they should make that world change in a shared way that makes it feel like things are really changing.

First I want to say I 100% with Chickens' post. There are limitations to the shared world format, and I think we're experiencing them pretty loudly. I will say that the Dreaming City seems like it might be an attempt to mitigate some of those things.

Secondly, I don't disagree with you here, either. It would be a compelling change to the formula, but consider all the effort put into the geometry to make such a thing happen.

I believe we've talked about this online ourselves, but I've had similar conversations with a lot of the folks I play with: Bungie puts a lot of effort into creating incredible settings for us to run around in, but a lot of the most captivating locations see very little use after the initial experience. I've heard lots of people clamoring for a new experience within the Titan Arcology, for example. To be realistic, though, such a change would need to be in the pipe for D3, given where we are in the D2 lifecycle, and if I'm understanding the kind of dynamic experience you're talking about, it would mean tweaks on every world, in time with whatever events Bungie plans for the continuity. It's a really compelling thought.

I certainly don't have an issue with the notion that players that check out for a season or two are simply going to miss some content. I think that's definitely part of the history of a game, and if I check out for six months, I should absolutely spend the rest of my time with the game knowing that there are some bits of gear, or shaders, or other content I just don't get; aside from missing out on the views. As it stands, I kind of feel like this logic should be applied to ornaments already.

Complete thread:

RSS Feed of thread