Public Event scaling (Destiny)

by Malagate @, Sea of Tranquility, Tuesday, October 08, 2013, 14:37 (3862 days ago) @ Beorn

I don't see Destiny as being about stacking 100, or 50, or even 25 people (visible to you) in a single area. I think they're more shooting for a feeling of adventure and danger you get from being alone with your fire team combined with the idea that other teams are out there and you'll occasionally cross paths.

^ This.

My interpretation is very much along these lines. Right now in Halo, there may be several thousand people in a particular Matchmaking hopper but only 8-16 people are ever playing the same game. I imagine Destiny will do similar matchmaking; as long as you're in the same physical location, you have a chance to be matched with some small subset of the population. Quality of connection and preferred style of play may be elements that are taken into account, and we'll always be matched with our fireteam.

It shouldn't be difficult to have large set-piece public events occasionally. I'm assuming the technology already exists within the engine to host at least a hundred players in the city spaces. We don't know the limitations of the engine, or what they have in mind, but I'd love to see action on a large scale. We don't have a good idea of what size Raids are compared to Strikes (or the nature of either), do we? Certainly banging on all the new technologies will be the focus of the beta, hopefully we'll get a little more information before then.

~m

Complete thread:

RSS Feed of thread