OT Borderlands 2 Community Loot Hunt (Destiny)

by Pyromancy @, discovering fire every week, Saturday, October 12, 2013, 10:35 (3859 days ago) @ NotTheVacuum

https://www.borderlands2loothunt.com

Have you seen Gearbox's community loot hunt that just started up today? This is a really cool idea. Hopefully Bungie is taking note, and not worrying about the money/prize aspect. Money/Prizes are awesome but not really needed (most won't even win them), especially if you can make community loot hunts a regular occurrence and worth more than cR. The joy of the hunt is satisfying enough for some, the loot/in game reward at the end just about everyone will enjoy. Imagine with me if you will though, a compelling in universe side story that can be told/conveyed through these optional pathways/challenges that you will be led on. Many many players will go on just for the in game loot pay off at the end of it, but maybe will take note of the other things going on along the way. The community driven aspect is really cool and the overall possibilities here are really awesome. The different personal iterations/stories that can be told afterwords of this shared event are the things that a mailsack/Weekly Update could really pay off.

Money is not a necessity. We know that the Daily and Weekly Challenges in Reach were partly research based, to help gather metrics and build missions and challenge ideas for Destiny. And to dole out cR. Bungie has always been good at gathering global view data of challenges completed, total games played, total hours spent, specific multi-play map Heat Maps, etc. Hopefully this kind of globalized view will have a utilization in Destiny rather than just stat tracking.
Hopefully the pay outs will be much more satisfying than cR or potentially what cR can buy (I am not a fan of pointless customization. Rather, guns or other unique immediately functional items - not something I have to save or spend - are extremely satisfying).
Hopefully their research includes the obvious individual challenge aspect, a group/fireteam challenge aspect, but also a large scale community challenge aspect too.

Editors note:
I think I used the word Hopefully too many times. We aren't that far away from Beta/launch. I'm just realizing it is probably too late for me to even think about this kind of stuff.

Complete thread:

RSS Feed of thread