Great question (Destiny)

by Kermit @, Raleigh, NC, Tuesday, October 08, 2013, 19:53 (3862 days ago) @ Beorn

Has anything been said about difficulty scaling for solo versus fireteam, or difficulty settings at all? I'm really curious how difficulty settings are going to work, and how that will work out in public events. Will the difficulty be somehow automatically scaled to our skill level, or will we have instances were the difficulty could be too easy for one person in my fireteam and too difficult for another? Can I set my own difficulty level and play alongside friends that are playing at another level? Can I replay missions on different difficulties?

I don't think I've heard anything about difficulty scaling. That's a really great question though. I've always played Halo on Heroic/Legendary, but my sister would hate to be stuck playing that with me. I wonder how they'll scale that in Destiny...

I honestly don't know how different difficulty modes in the same game would work. I guess they could just alter the damage tables for each person, but whether true or not, I've always imagined that difficulty levels were more sophisticated than just having different damage tables.

I've always been interested in dynamic difficulty scaling. (I'm not a big Call of Duty fan, but I'm intrigued by the Squads mode they just announced.) I know the idea has been around for a while, but I don't think I've ever played a game that had it. I imagine it might be problematic or it would have caught on by now. If Destiny had something like that, I'd still want static levels. Sometimes I like to explore on easier settings; other times I like a real challenge.

Complete thread:

RSS Feed of thread