Introduction to Warframe (Gaming)

by MacAddictXIV @, Seattle WA, Monday, July 08, 2019, 12:42 (1752 days ago) @ Korny

What did I just see?

Warframe's biggest hurdle has always been the onboarding process of introducing new players to the game's myriad systems, which seem far more daunting/demanding than they really are. So as part of another major overhaul to that new player experience, DE got together with Dan Trachtenberg (Portal: No Escape, 10 Cloverfield Lane, Black Mirror) to make a new intro cinematic to the game, highlighting the three starting characters, the enemy factions, and some of the background lore (that is implemented into the actual game, whod've thunk?). Best part of the trailer is that there is no fluff. Everything on screen showcases aspects of the game (even an ability augment that isn't in the game yet, but will be soon), and there is even a couple of things there for veterans that new players wouldn't get. Trachtenberg is enough of a Warframe fan that he even talked about how he approached DE when some of the details of the script seemed off from what's actually in the game, only to be reassured by them that those details would be brought in line to match the script.

Yes. Yes they do. I'm going to preface this by saying that I played at least a year ago, and haven't played since.

I've spent about 30-40 hours playing warframe, my biggest gripe was that it felt like a grind with no story. I barely touched some story elements at the start and during I believe was a monthly event. Even now, I only know bits and pieces about who the bad guys are and who you even are as a Tenno? Tenino?

I'm all for leaving some mystery in a game, but when I'm 20 hours in I want to know a basic plot of the universe not just who the bad guys are. If this guy is going to help with it I'm all for it. That trailer, with a little bit of Korny's descriptions told me more about the plot than 20 hours of gameplay. I'm not trying to rail on Warframe, it seemed like a fun game, but it felt like a bit of a slog without some reason behind it, at least to me.

Complete thread:

RSS Feed of thread