Introduction to Warframe (Gaming)

by MacAddictXIV @, Seattle WA, Tuesday, July 09, 2019, 09:19 (1724 days ago) @ cheapLEY

Warframe has a better grind, at least in terms of making sense. It feels like I’m empowered as a player to do whatever I want, and there’s always a direct path to get the crafting materials I need to get the things I want.

Destiny’s Powerful engrams system is fundamentally broken in my mind. I’m Warframe, you just do whatever you want and you level up. There’s no getting fucked by getting three powerful cloaks in a row. Destiny feels like I have to play the way Bungie wants and literally nothing else if I want to be able to play the newest stuff with everyone else. Warframe allows me to just play the things that look interesting, and I don’t get punished for essentially fucking off. And if there is something specific to grind for, it tells you exactly what materials you need and where to get them, none of this “I don’t know, figure it out, maybe EP is dropping the shotgun this week, maybe not!” shit that Bungie seems so fond of.

I agree that Warframe has more input in some areas when it comes to getting certain things. And Bungie has left that more open, EP is a good example. Apart from getting the same item repeatable, I don't feel the same with the powerful engram system at all. I can play a very wide range of things and still level up.

I won’t tell you Warframe is objectively a better grind, but it sure feels like it wants it’s players to have fun however they want more than Destiny does.

Edit: I will also add that the grind in Warframe feels “worth it” in a way that Destiny doesn’t. Warframe gives you so many options and mods and new toys that fundamentally change the way you can play the game. Destiny never does that. A power level 50 Hunter plays exactly the same as a power level 750 Hunter. The number is arbitrary and you don’t really get any game changers along the way. My level 27 Excalibur has at least two distinct builds right now that feel pretty different from each other, and I basically just started.

That wasn't at all my experience. I tried to mod my suit and guns differently to see if I can try an new experience but it didn't feel all that different. Maybe I was doing it wrong, maybe I need an online tutorial somewhere to show me how, but it wasn't easy. And I only ever got 3ish guns, one I crafted I think and the other I bought. Then I spent 10 hours leveling the gun up. I guess I felt like even after 40 some hours I was stuck with slightly modified base gear.

There’s an argument to be made that’s a good thing, but I certainly don’t think so. Destiny’s endgame comes down to farming for guns with slightly different rolls that don’t matter all that much, whereas Warframe lets you really find the exactly the playstyle you want.

I donno, I kinda like my Auto rifle + shotgun + War rigs agressive titan. I play it all the time, it's my style. I don't see many people play it. I'm sure I need to play more Warframe. And maybe I just need to invest more into it, but personally, I don't have the time to spend that much just to feel like I'm not running base gear.

Complete thread:

RSS Feed of thread