Not really, no (Destiny)

by narcogen ⌂ @, Andover, Massachusetts, Wednesday, August 07, 2019, 09:27 (1724 days ago) @ Revenant1988

Dammit, I wanted an episodic story-driven scifi shooter built around coop. Not an MMO. I realize a sizable portion of Bungie's employees either are, or have been, overly enamored of WoW over the years... but...

Do you mean something like that? (if you played it that is)

On paper, I remember the *concept* of Spartan Ops being really appealing- time released, episodic, cooperative story driven missions.

I remember it being "OK" at best story wise (Palmer, bro-tastic spartans, dino-elites and other things I didn't care about) but the delivery and structure I thought were solid. It was fun having an evening organized around that, playing the episode and then after, MP.

In format, yes.

In content, no.

For me I think the importance of episodic delivery hinges on having a good story to deliver, and I largely considered Halo's story to have concluded with Halo 3, and to have been embellished enjoyably by ODST and Reach (in that order). Never played Halo 4 or 5.

Destiny has added a lot of lore to itself over the years but as much as they've added, and as much of the delivery has changed, the fact remains is that the most enjoyable means of accessing that lore is outside of and largely irrelevant to the playing of the game, with a few notable exceptions.

Complete thread:

RSS Feed of thread