OG vs. Prime. (Destiny)

by Malagate @, Sea of Tranquility, Wednesday, August 14, 2019, 07:09 (1678 days ago) @ squidnh3

Luke apparently wants to reduce Gambit down to one thing. I'm not a fan, but mostly because Reddit seems to overwhelmingly prefer Prime, whereas I'd rather play regular Gambit all day. What would people here choose?

My preference is OG Gambit, and here's why:

I like having multiple rounds, because if your team doesn't get their battle rhythm down, it doesn't mean the end of the game, like it does in Prime. Prime also suffers from the armors not being readily available enough (not a criticism of the mode itself, but of the mechanics around it). I do appreciate the grind it takes to curate an armor set that synergizes with the weapons one enjoys using, and I don't begrudge the Reckoning as the avenue to do that. However, succeeding in Prime seems to hinge not only on players working together (which is hard enough with even 1 blueberry on the team), but also on how much Prime armor factors into the build of the team.

Have you ever experienced a Bubble Titan invader that locks down the bank and casts Ward over it? What about that nightmare scenario at the SAME TIME as a Collector sending over a Giant Blocker? That, my friends, is an almost assured game-ender. It's practically the equivalent of earning a Nuke (or at least an AC-130) in CoD:MW:BLOPS of Honor.

Now don't get me wrong, I do quite enjoy the dynamic that the Prime armor sets add to Gambit. But I'd honestly prefer the armor be made...not necessarily *easier* to acquire, but maybe getting more armor to drop with Reckoning win streaks, or a consumable that allows multiple pieces to drop from a completion. Hell, being able to burn multiple synths of the same type so they stack, or being able to buy synths via MTX would actually address a bunch of this.

I'm also not really a fan of the three-Envoys-and-a-well mechanic before the Primeval burn. If I had my way, Prime armors would be allowed to work in OG Gambit, with a few tweaks to keep invasions from being as frequent. As it is now, though, if they did away with Prime altogether but kept the Reckoning and OG Gambit in their current forms, I wouldn't complain.

~m

Complete thread:

RSS Feed of thread