Independence after purchase (Gaming)

by MrPadraig08 ⌂ @, Steel City, Monday, October 14, 2013, 08:21 (3858 days ago) @ Cody Miller

That means none of the indie games funded through kickstarter are indie then, because folks kicking in aren;t directly related to the development.

So the glory and inherent downfall of kickstarter is the issue of trust. I have to trust that this team can make this project work with the money I'm contributing, then there's the issue of will they make it work. What really makes a kickstarter developer free or more or less independent is, they only have to answer to me (the benefactor/owner) once. Once the money has been pledged, they are free to do whatever they want, they don't even need to deliver.

What gives them independence and makes me afraid is there is nothing legally stopping them from promising this and delivering that much differently than what was promised. If you get a half million dollars to make a classic JRPG and instead use it to make a $500,000 bologna sandwich, there is nothing legally wrong with that.

Complete thread:

RSS Feed of thread