Blah (Gaming)

by Leviathan ⌂, Hotel Zanzibar, Monday, October 14, 2013, 21:33 (3858 days ago) @ ZackDark

I love all those things, but "gamer" sounds isolating in its definition, as if that's all you consume. I don't have a need for such a word. If I ever need to explain, I can say "I sometimes play video games", and not pin myself down and limit myself in others' eyes. Because I despise being pinned down. Because I am rarely a pin.

It doesn't help that it's often used in an elitist terminology to refer to those who are true gamers as opposed to casuals or something. It's like a reverse hipster, another word I'm sick of. It's caught on. It's popular now to make fun of people with that term, and people have enlarged the breadth of the definition to use it to basically condemn anyone they think is weird or makes them uncomfortable. The ideologies of superiority/inferiority in these matters makes me so mad I have to go mow a lawn.

So anyway, if I do say I'm a gamer, I feel I have to say I'm an everythinger to balance it out.

Complete thread:

RSS Feed of thread