Indie Game Exam Question 3 (FINAL) (Gaming)

by Ragashingo ⌂, Official DBO Cryptarch, Monday, October 14, 2013, 12:36 (3858 days ago) @ Cody Miller

You're the one who brought up Journey and its status. I've never played the game, have never seen it played, and don't care about it. Since you're ignoring point 2 (and since it's a bit off topic anyway) let's stick to point one.

How do you justify Crysis 2 as indie?

Crytek paid for Crysis. EA published it, so what? There is talk of EA acquiring Crytek, so I guess if that happens they'd no longer be indie.

Crytek developed their own engine and tools for Crysis.

That alone makes them more independent than 90% of the 'indie games'.

Interesting. I bought Crysis 2 but I never thought of it as indie. Maybe subconsciously my idea of indie includes a rule that the games isn't distributed on disc with a fancy case... But thats an assumption that has no place in our increasingly digital world...

As for point 2 the combat and world was really fun.

I actually partially agree. I really liked the feel of the nano suit. It felt a lot like Halo 4 (or rather Halo 4 felt a lot like it) but even more mobile and useful. Doubly so when you included the cloak and armor modes. The game also had the best invasion of earth... visually and thematically... of any game I've played. Mass Effect 3 comes next, and they both beat the pants off of Halo. I believed Earth was in trouble while playing Crysis 2. Not so much while kicking the Covenant out of New Mombassa...

I didn't really enjoy the actual combat unfortunately. Too hard to kill enemies. Too little ammo. And of course the story and plot was just awful.

Complete thread:

RSS Feed of thread