The point I was making.... (Destiny)

by Leviathan ⌂, Hotel Zanzibar, Thursday, October 24, 2013, 10:22 (3839 days ago) @ bryan newman

Is that this is a situation of how the mighty have fallen.

Could you imagine a situation where Cliffy B's next game is mobile? Or Jason Jones'? or Jade Raymond?

IMO iPad/Mobile games are a waste of time. They are games that offer little to no immersion, they are the equivalent to DS shovelware. They are done purely as a way of making a quick buck. I have yet to see a mobile game break this mold.

I very much doubt they will. There will soon come a time when iPads/Surface's are able to play fully functional AAA releases (Or indies titles) with a controller. Essentially just turning your iPad into a very small tv. Only then will gaming on a mobile device be a device capable of delivering anything close to what we get at home.

Seropian has proven he can create good games, good studios, run them effectively and with integrity (The recall fiasco) why waste such talents on mobile?

I have gathered your point. I'm just saying I find it very presumptuous, especially because we're talking about a game neither of us has played.

I don't like seeing new things not given a chance and being beaten down with such harsh, judgmental words as 'trash', 'waste', etc., just because someone has grouped them in with previous experiences due to some resemblance or shared terminology. Even the best games share something in common with the worst.

And condemning an entire platform is just absurd.

I think there are interesting things to be done in mobile game design. Do a lot of games use it for a quick buck? Possibly/probably. But then I've also played a few that are not like that at all, as well as worked on/for a few, where that was definitely not the intent.

Yeah, it appears that there are some micro-transactions in this game, which I'm usually not a fan of, but the campaign is also free. So it's not that the model is inherently any more greedy than any other published game on any other platform; it's just different. The key is not letting the greed/model affect your gameplay, and I don't think every mobile game allows that to happen, just because it's 'mobile'.

I have many fond memories playing the original Game Boy, and, while the percentages might be different, I've played many PC/console games that seemed created for a quick buck. So I don't think its the platform that is the deciding factor for greed nor a limiting factor for fun, it's the execution.

Honestly, I think most movies, books, and well, everything tend to be created for greed and end up not very good. But I still give things a chance to find new and unique experiences that are fun, moving, and were created with sincerity. I won't let popular trends color my view of the potentiality of a platform.

Complete thread:

RSS Feed of thread