Doom vs Marathon (Gaming)

by Cody Miller @, Music of the Spheres - Never Forgot, Wednesday, June 10, 2020, 10:07 (1410 days ago) @ Spec ops Grunt

I very much agree they are completely different games. In my mind Marathon's legacy will always be story and narrative in FPS games, whereas Doom's will be taking the First person perspective and really doing something interesting with it gameplay wise

There's so many little things that are a part of the game DNA.

For instance, Doom frequently lets players control platforms. You hit the action button, and the platform will go down, you can step on, and it will go back up. This is used all the time to let players get out of holes or pits of slime/lava. Marathon is capable of doing this too, but non door platforms are never controlled by the player. Always through switches.

Speaking of pits, the philosophies are very different as well. Doom's is "you can always get out somehow", where Marathon's is "if you cant escape a pit, it should kill you". Marathon will never just trap you in a pit forever. It'll have lava or something down there to kill you so you can respawn, but many you can't get out of once you fall in (baring grenade jumping).

I was thinking of running through all the levels and commenting on the design (especially since I now know who made each one), but was initially discouraged because Narcogen and Blackstar already did a let's play. But then I watched it. They use the butt ugly Aleph One fan graphics, didn't talk that much about design, and they are bad and miss secrets :-p No offense guys, love you.

Complete thread:

RSS Feed of thread