#ReleaseTheStatenCut (Destiny)

by CruelLEGACEY @, Toronto, Wednesday, July 01, 2020, 13:40 (1395 days ago) @ Cody Miller
edited by CruelLEGACEY, Wednesday, July 01, 2020, 13:45

I would like to point out that should the supercut ever leak (hint hint), that it was NOT Joe's story, but a bastardization of it.

So it got Rise of Skywalkered? Competing versions resulting in a creative Frankenstein that none of the creators are satisfied with?

I don't know what happened with rise of Skywalker.

The skinny seems to be that JJ had his original rough cut which Kathleen Kennedy hated (because it undermined or undid a bunch of stuff from The Last Jedi, which Is the film KK had the most creative input on). So KK started overruling a lot of JJs decisions, and all kinds of friction started. Meanwhile it was getting tougher and tougher to ignore the downward slide that Star Wars has taking under KK, so Bob Iger himself got involved and started making creative calls that neither JJ or KK liked. Supposedly, JJ even pulled George Lucas into the mix at one point, going to him for help. Most of lucas’s ideas were apparently scrapped because JJ brought him into the mix relatively late, and the film was already monstrously over budget due to unprecedented amounts of reshoots. Word was that none of the various cuts of the film tested very well, and the best they were able to do was simply cut out the worst parts of all the various edits and stitch together what was left (for example, they actually filmed an explanation for how the emperor returned, but test audiences hated it so much that they just cut it out and left it an un-answered question).

A lot of this is stuff that should be considered “rumour”, although I’d say it’s safe to consider it loosely accurate at the very least. The same sources that reported all this were also providing plot summaries as early as August/September 2019, all of which proved to be more or less correct. They were leaking updated versions of the plot as various changes were supposedly being made, which can’t be proven, but their final summaries in the weeks just before release were bang on. And certain details that were supposedly cut, like how the emperor returned, were later confirmed in either the comics or one of the new novels (I can’t remember).

Long story short, a steady stream of leaks in the ~8 months leading up to the release of the film painted a picture of a 3-way war behind the scenes during filming. These leakers got so many other details right that I’d bet there is at least some truth to it. JJ in particular was supposedly heartbroken by the end result. He didn’t want to do the movie at all, and only agreed on the condition that he could do it his way. Sounds like the whole thing turned into a giant nightmare.

Complete thread:

RSS Feed of thread