The latest Star Wars rumours are WILD (Destiny)

by CruelLEGACEY @, Toronto, Friday, July 03, 2020, 07:14 (1386 days ago) @ ZackDark

The same channels that provided accurate Rise of Skywalker story leaks last year are now talking about a supposed plan that is bouncing around inside Lucasfilm. First, I should say that I have no idea if the sources for these leaks are the same sources who provided accurate info last year, or different sources being reported by the same channels. And even if these sources are accurate, the plan they are talking about is not a done deal.

So anyway, apparently there’s a group within Lucasfilm who is pushing to have the Disney sequel trilogy (Episides 7, 8, and 9) written out of cannon. They have a plot device in mind which would allow them to relegate the sequel trilogy to an alternate timeline. The movies would then get pumped into the same “legends” category that Kathleen Kennedy created when Disney took over. When KK was put in charge of Lucasfilm, she decided that all the Star Wars books, comics, and video games should no longer be considered cannon (I actually thought that was a good idea, but it pissed off a lot of fans for obvious reasons). So she came up with this “legends” label that got slapped on all the expanded universe content. She would later go on to complain that making the sequel trilogy was really hard because unlike Game of Thrones or Harry Potter, Lucasfilm didn’t have books to draw from (Lol). There’s a certain irony to the possibility that her Star Wars films might suffer the same fate as all the expanded universe works that she tossed aside.

Anyway, the actual plot device is supposedly “The Veil of the Force” which is a sort of inter-dimensional portal through time and space. I haven’t seen the Clone Wars cartoons, but it was apparently introduced there.

Personally, I have no idea what to make of this whole idea. On the one hand, episodes 7-9 are such a clusterfuck that it might not be a bad idea to wipe the slate clean and make way for a more cohesive vision to step in (that’s essentially the same reason I thought it was a good idea to wipe all the expanded universe content from cannon). On the flip side, for better or for worse, we only had 1 shot at seeing Luke, Han, and Leia’s story continue on the big screen. Carry Fisher is gone now, they’ll never get Harrison Ford to agree to another film, and I doubt Mark Hammil trusts Disney enough to participate in more of their Star Wars projects (he and John Boyega have all but given up hiding their feelings about these recent films). So maybe it isn’t worth all the confusion and outrage of wiping those films from cannon? But then I think about all the goodwill it would earn from the super hardcore Start Wars fans, and I could maybe see Disney start leaning towards the retcon. At this point, they need those passionate hardcore fans back on board, because Star Wars merch is dead in the water, and that’s where the real money is made. Disney is struggling to get 3rd parties even interested in licensing deals for sequel trilogy merch. And there’s always the possibility of someone like Filonni continuing Luke, Han, and Leia’s story in an animated series. At this point, who knows.

Complete thread:

RSS Feed of thread