unplayable (Destiny)

by stabbim @, Des Moines, IA, USA, Monday, November 04, 2013, 12:16 (3828 days ago) @ uberfoop

I thought for sure the only reason they stuck it in Reach was as practice for their next game.

They very well may have been testing the waters with it. That doesn't mean that it was necessarily going to make it in. Part of why you test something is to figure out what it means going forward. Even if it was extremely good, Bungie may have decided that it just wasn't fitting nicely into their roadmap for Destiny.

And yeah, I'm fully aware of how obnoxiously 'corporate PR jargon'ish I made that sound. :)

Well, PR jargon or not, it's still true.

I dunno whether I would have wanted this to happen. On one hand, it might have been interesting to add another experience to the Destiny mix. On the other hand, I played a game once where most of the gameplay was on-foot, you transitioned between planets via (primarily) load screens, and occasionally space combat would break out during the transitions. It was Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic, one of my favorite games and generally regarded as a classic now. But that lame turret-shooting between planets got old real fast, and looking back (through somewhat rose-tinted glasses, maybe) it was the only part of the game that I remember disliking. I was thankful that it happened as rarely as it did. Probably, Bungie's implementation would have been less tedious, but still - the only reference I have for such a thing was pretty meh.

Complete thread:

RSS Feed of thread