A Quick Observation (Destiny)

by INSANEdrive, ಥ_ಥ | f(ಠ‿↼)z | ᕕ( ᐛ )ᕗ| ¯\_(ツ)_/¯, Thursday, February 25, 2021, 13:37 (1156 days ago) @ INSANEdrive

This couldn't wait. I'm just chuckling uncontrollably, and I just have to get this thought out. So here it is.

- - - - - - -

What’s in a name? That which we call a rose
By any other name would smell as sweet
;
So Romeo would, were he not Romeo call’d,
Retain that dear perfection which he owes
Without that title. Romeo, doff thy name,
And for that name which is no part of thee
Take all myself. ~ Romeo and Juliet (Act 2, Scene 2)

It matters not what something is called, what matters is what it is. A simple enough prospect, but since when are things ever so simple when a group of chefs are involved on a labor of love? Where am I going with this? I want to speak for a moment about Destiny 2, Destiny 3, and Sunsetting now that it is to be concluded. An observation I've made that's not quite Schadenfreude, but it is in the same vein. A sort of, (and yes this is a meme,) "that sounds like X with extra steps".

Back in June 2020 (which somehow is only 8 months and change ago) we got this little update here. In it we get this paragraph quoted thus;

With Destiny 1, we solved the “ever expanding, exponential complexity” problem by making a sequel in Destiny 2. We left behind all of Destiny 1’s content and many of the features players grew to love. We believe now that it was a mistake to create a situation that fractured the community, reset player progress, and set the player experience back in ways that took us a full year to recover from and repair. It’s a mistake we don’t want to repeat by making a Destiny 3. We don't believe a sequel is the right direction for the game and for the past two years we have been investing all of our development effort into new content, gameplay, and new engine features that directly support a single evolving world in Destiny 2.

See it? Here I'll pull out the relevant bits...

We left behind all of Destiny 1’s content and many of the features players grew to love

and

It’s a mistake we don’t want to repeat by making a Destiny 3.

ALL ELSE ASIDE, with the conclusion of Sunsetting upon us, we now are in the same (or... ok... relatively the same) boat as we were Destiny 1 to Destiny 2! Had Bungie gone and made Destiny 3: Beyond Light official... well... here we are!

LOL!

Anything Sunsetting affected from BEFORE this season is GONE! Anything AFTER this season... welcome to Destiny 3!

We’ve made the decision that any weapon or armor that can currently be infused to max Power will continue to be able to reach max Power permanently. Starting in Season 14 we won’t be capping the infusion on any weapons or armor that have not already reached the cap as of the start of Season 13. This means you’ll be able to take your Trustee, your Falling Guillotine, and all the high-stat armor you’ve earned this year to take on the raid in The Witch Queen.

LOL!

IT REALLY IS DESTINY! They worked so hard to avoid a conclusion, only to make the very conclusion they wanted to avoid!

*Chef Kiss*

[image]

Bravo Bungo, please don't do it again. If you had told the community some of your ideas ahead of time, all this could have been avoided. Clearly (it's just about all we've talked about).

(Oh... and RIP my Void Basilisk Shotgun. For realzees this time it seems. I kept it in hope. :()

Complete thread:

RSS Feed of thread