Void 2.0, Void 3.0, and Game Design Philosophy (Destiny)

by INSANEdrive, ಥ_ಥ | f(ಠ‿↼)z | ᕕ( ᐛ )ᕗ| ¯\_(ツ)_/¯, Sunday, February 13, 2022, 11:20 (801 days ago) @ INSANEdrive

I know I know, "Game Design Philosophy" implies far larger post then what you see here. And there probably is one, yet another snowball which could bellow into a mountain of words, but I'm going to TRY and make this brief instead.

First things first, instead of listening to the podcast, I read a transcript created be a redditor; "Summary/Transcription of DCP featuring Bungie with Kevin Yanes and Samuel Dunn". I found it to be a very... sparking read. I have ever so many words I want to say, and questions I want to ask but... it's all for not. I'm certainly not going to get an answer here, as by and large y'all don't know either. Maybe some the lurkers of DBO do, but... key word lurkers. They don't post, so it's moot.

Thus the end result has been that for the last few days I've been having something rattle around in this noggin of mine, and I've been unsure how best to approach it. Something doesn't make sense. It's clear that there is a design philosophy at work here, but it feels... mismatched with... I don't know. And it's been BOTHERING me. A mental splinter.

A few days ago in this whole of conversation, I asked...

"We now have more options, and yet it all feels more restrictive in possible play-styles to me. Does that make sense?"

It was largely a rhetorical question, but now I'm not so sure. This is where y'all come in. I think I don't have enough information, as my own incites and takes don't feel "enough" and so I'm asking for y'alls take. Right now, in our coming towards last week of Void 2.0, what does each tree feel like to you? Does each tree feel like it has it's own style of play? Or does all feel like it's some cohesive main idea? Or shoot, both or none at all? How have you not lost interest in the aspects of the Void 2.0 subclass? How has this rigid style of power kept its fun for you?

It's important I ask this now, as once 3.0 is out, it's done and done. It may all be that this is just my brain making a fuss because "change" or whatever, but... I don't think so. I would like to be able to come back to the "notes" of this thread, even if your take is just a simple take of what you've thought of the Void sub-classes so far.

Thank you.

Complete thread:

RSS Feed of thread