How does Halo’s matchmaking work? (Destiny)

by INSANEdrive, ಥ_ಥ | f(ಠ‿↼)z | ᕕ( ᐛ )ᕗ| ¯\_(ツ)_/¯, Wednesday, April 20, 2022, 16:16 (730 days ago) @ cheapLEY

I would honestly assume lower player base would make it harder, not easier. If there’s a million other people to choose from, it’s much more likely there’s someone of my exact skill level to match against.

Not at all. It's all about averages. Conceptually speaking, the super pros stop because the challenge is gone. The super casuals stop because they either don't care enough to keep playing or they just keep getting their butt kicked. That's not fun, so they stop. What you get in result is a self averaged metric. Are you seeing the same names now and again? That may have an effect too. If there is 10,000 and we teir that out, that gives, what... ballpark 200 folks for each "skill" rank, not that such would be so clean.

PLUS! On top of that, Halo is a far more... I'm not sure what to put here. Forgiving? The tool set is the tool set. There isn't 1000 different guns plus abilities to one shot you with. Pretty sure that has an effect on how games play too.

If you were having longer and longer wait times, then yeah maybe matchmaking has more an effect then I think it has right now. Don't know. Stuff just is hardly ever as simple as we would like to think it is.

Complete thread:

RSS Feed of thread