Except... (Destiny)

by Schooly D, TSD Gaming Condo, TX, Wednesday, November 27, 2013, 11:17 (3825 days ago) @ Leviathan
edited by Schooly D, Wednesday, November 27, 2013, 11:29

I view pretty much all comments on the Internet as personal and subjective viewpoints put forth, so I'm not the guy to talk to if you want a lab report. :)

That's fine. More power to you, I guess. But, if you need to view everything as subjective and are incapable of arguing from a non-personal standpoint, then I think you should reconsider your willingness to argue for someone else (RC).

Your original post is more in response to kapowaz's OP. He's arguing that it's a problem that we know very little about Destiny so close to the beta. You're arguing that not knowing about it is good, or at least not bad. Okay. That's got nothing to do with my question to RC though, and I'm not trying to have an argument with you about about the value of knowing what things when. Surprises can be nice.

I would say the evidence for RC's position is Bungie's past games, at least the first of each series and how they could have been grouped with similar games beforehand, but once played, were seen as revolutionary or evolutionary to their related genres. Halo CE, a long with others, expanded what FPS meant. Destiny could do the same, or create a bridge not yet crossed between different genres.

There's also the evidence of Bungie's actions. Which seem to say they believe the above might be true.

And then there's the plain lack of actual evidence any which way, because there is so much we don't know, and that is another reason I see no reason to label or define it, as that would just diminish the possible new experience as I described in my previous post. We simply don't know enough to talk about this stuff yet. I don't think, and I'm pretty sure Bungie doesn't think, that players should go into Destiny thinking it's a variation of 'x' game.

Your evidence has failed to convince me of RC's assertion:

Because while it shares certain elements, takes inspiration from them, it's also changed in the established Bungie style into something that doesn't easily fit into established boxes and stereotypes.

I'd also like to know what the "established Bungie style" is. I wasn't aware there was one.

Complete thread:

RSS Feed of thread