Rendering The Future (layman's version... by a layman...) (Destiny)

by Xenos @, Shores of Time, Sunday, March 16, 2014, 13:05 (3703 days ago) @ Cody Miller

Do you think that's smart? I would be mega surprised if the 360 received all the content over the course of Destiny's 10 year plan. When it comes time to move on, will you be able to port over your characters? Will you have to re-buy content on the new system? Will a PC version come along and just be plain best in every way?

I kind of wish Bungie would be more upfront about this, but it seems to me the smart thing is just to go next-gen right from the start.

I'm not too worried about it. They designed a new graphics engine specifically for Destiny that was designed to scale to any system. I think worst case scenario the first games on next-gen may not look quite as good as the later ones, but I imagine that will be the case anyway as they get better and better at developing for next-gen. As far as the rebuying content, I don't think that'll be an issue. With the code system they implemented they appear to be building a system where they keep track of content on their site, so I think our content will be kept in Bungie's "cloud", barring an exclusivity deals they have.

Complete thread:

RSS Feed of thread