Rendering The Future (layman's version... by a layman...) (Destiny)

by Miguel Chavez, Sunday, March 16, 2014, 22:56 (3703 days ago) @ Cody Miller

1. They did a lot of work to make sure Destiny's new graphic features worked on the 360. If I read it right it looks like they managed to give every scene dynamic lighting (with full interactive shadows and light flickers and stuff) while still fitting within the current generation of hardware. This is awesome for me since I'll be playing on the 360 for a while.

Do you think that's smart? I would be mega surprised if the 360 received all the content over the course of Destiny's 10 year plan. When it comes time to move on, will you be able to port over your characters? Will you have to re-buy content on the new system? Will a PC version come along and just be plain best in every way?

I kind of wish Bungie would be more upfront about this, but it seems to me the smart thing is just to go next-gen right from the start.

Are you serious? This is why I have a hard time not seeing any time you post here as another faux-Andy Kaufman attempt at trolling.

OP talks about how they're looking to keep the graphics between 360 and next/current-gen boxes as much in parity as possible. For some reason this, in your mind, leads into a question about porting characters from one box to another? Where in the fuck are the two even remotely connected?

Jesus Christ…

- m

Ho hum. Read the last sentence of what I quoted. Never expected YOU to lack even that basic skill. Here it is:

This is awesome for me since I'll be playing on the 360 for a while.

That means he's buying the 360 version, hence my comment.

Right, the comment that I'm saying is dumb. Because of what he said. And then because of what you said in reply. In your comment. That you wrote. That is dumb. If the guy is talking about how glad he is that the devs are doing their best to keep graphic parity from 360 to nextgen/currentgen, why would that lead you into something as inane as 'I hope characters can be ported, derp derp derp!?' How would that not be a theoretical problem w/ *any* console/PC, of any gen? It justs seems like a poor grab at trying to hijack a legitimate appreciation for the programmings skills that will give a nice *broad* base of gamers a happy experience into an 'oh, don't forget we're all gonna die at some point in real life. So why bother?' Of *all* the things one could come up with as a legitimate talking point around this, to bring up CHARACTER PORTING, the most NON-corporeal element of a game… "Oh golly gee willikers, I hope they can port my character to my Bungie app on my Android, because I bet it must be *real* tough to make that table of stats and the uber-cool graphics that make my character's shoulder pads all nice and shiny as he flexes his pistol grip when I check him out on my PS4. I mean, I heard the Android can't handle binary code for the number 3, and my character is stuck on level 33, so I'm soooo boned! BUNGIE I IZ TRUSTED TO YOU!" is about as equally on-point.

I apologize if I missed the Bungie news announcement that states your character is an actual living sentient chunk of 256MB code that requiires more flux-capacitors than the 360 can currently handle. Now THAT'S an outrage! :-)

oy vey.

- m

Complete thread:

RSS Feed of thread