Ambivalent meh (Destiny)

by Kermit @, Raleigh, NC, Monday, April 28, 2014, 17:58 (3657 days ago) @ DEEP_NNN

After watching The Devil's Lair vid, I am in a solid meh stage. Very ambivalent feelings towards the game right now. Not caring to even be in the Beta.

When I first saw TITANFALL, I became very excited to play it. A year later, that excitement is still in me a month and a half after launch. I don't have that same excitement for Destiny.

Destiny looks gorgeous and I'm 95% (down from 100%) sure I'll buy it, but I'm far less sure it'll hold my attention for very long. Maybe it'll be like poorly fitted clothing that has to be worn-in before you can really enjoy it.

Patricia Hernandez on Kotaku wrote almost exactly how I feel about Destiny.

I hear you, but I'd rate my excitement as what about it was before today (meaning Bungie's got a new IP--AWESOME! They always offer new things that are better than anyone's offered before.)

The main thing that I'm gobsmacked by is how beautiful the game is. Amazing eye candy. The other stuff I really care about can't be shown, though--the story, how the game feels when you play it, how I feel when I put the controller down.

Fortunately, a test drive is on the horizon. How lucky for us that there is a test drive, huh? After that, most of this prejudging won't matter.

About graphics--I've been thinking about this, and part of what has me thinking about it is the remastered edition of The Last of Us, which I will probably buy because (1) I can afford to and (2) I adore that game. It's an amazing game in lots of ways, but it's amazing graphically ... on the PS3. How much more amazing can it be graphically? It can be better, but when will we get to the point where there are no additional pixels that our eyes can detect? Will the generation of consoles after this one be able to entice us with better graphics?

We've all seen games (cough, Halo 4, cough) where graphical fidelity was their strong suit. I want something else. I think game developers are going to have to get creative to entice us. I have hopes that Bungie (and others) can meet the challenge.

Complete thread:

RSS Feed of thread