I expect better :-( (Off-Topic)

by TDSpiral ⌂ @, TDS Gaming Shack, WA, Thursday, May 01, 2014, 20:18 (3649 days ago) @ kidtsunami

Huh?

So someone posted an article they wrote about racism in advertisement to Bungie.net (for some reason- don't really see the relevancy to Bungie or its games), she got banned for 8 months, and now she's accusing Bungie of being racist and feeling threatened. Am I missing something to this?

Hmm, lost this post when DBO went down. Going to lists to make it quicker.

• Reason she was given for getting banned was "Disrespect/Threaten"
  • The community, moderated by the same people who banned her, has routinely harassed her without repurcussions
  • If Off-Topic was the reason for the banning, *ouch* plenty of people on Bungie.net talking about nonsense better watch out

She realizes Bungie isn't one white dude, right? This just seems like some real scummy shit she's pulling, honestly. Social justice is an important issue, but its people like her that really fuck things up for everybody.

• Not about who works for Bungie
  • About the community that they moderate on their own website
  • I don't see how "people like her really fuck things up for everybody", I think it's the bigots who say racist or sexist things clowning around in the gaming community that fuck things up for everybody

Maybe I'm off-base here though, because it seems like there are some details missing. Either way, the people that are just taking her word for it and saying things like "way to blow it Bungie, not getting my money"... I have no kind words for them.

yeah, not concerned with people saying "not getting my money", I'm more concerned about the idea that the people who need policing are the ones who are standing up against injustice.

EDIT: Originally had a note that she's welcome to be on my fireteam anytime, I throw down with people who stand up against obnoxious crap

I apologize, I was in a salty mood when I posted this morning, so my tone was definitely much more negative than I intended. I understand why she would be upset that a lot of people get away with some hostile shit on Bnet- that community, no more than most gaming communities, has a lot of bile. Her ban, for all I know, does not seem deserved.

However, I did want to readdress what I said about "fucking things up for everybody" with posts like these. I feel like many "social justicers" trivialize MANY issues and that causes some folks to not take anything they say seriously. They're doing more harm than good at that point. I don't believe that she's purposefully trying to be unhelpful, but her post about this just made me think that she's the kind of person who likes to stir up controversy.

Complete thread:

RSS Feed of thread